Monthly Archives: July 2011


If you watch or read the news today, if you look at what is capturing the headlines, it really comes down to only a few major topics. Obviously, the current state of the US economy and the gridlock in the government is one major attention getter. But another major topic weaving its way into our “news consciousness” is articles about celebrities who have addiction problems.

This week the headlines contain a particularly ironic twist – the untimely death of Amy Winehouse. Take a look at headline that just appeared on musicrooms. net (





It would appear that the death of this talented young woman was caused, not by the addiction to alcohol itself, but as a result of a lack of understanding of alcohol recovery. Now, it would seem that it is safe to assume that, if you are reading this piece, you have some interest in learning more about alcohol recovery. OK. If that is the case, read on. If it is not, I can refer you to an article about the current impasse in congress. I’ll pause for a moment while you decide….

Good. You’re still here. The economy will have to wait. So let’s take a look at alcohol recovery and how Narconon’s program treats the matter just a bit differently from other rehab programs.

Alcohol Recovery RehabAccording to the Centers For Disease Control, the percentage of adults (18 years old and older) who are current regular drinkers (at least 12 drinks in the past year) is 52%. The percentage of adults who are current infrequent drinkers (meaning 1 – 11 drinks in the past year) is 13% (Source: CDC – The total percentage of American adults who use alcohol to a greater or lesser extent is 65%!! Is it any wonder why supermarkets devote a significant amount of floor space to alcoholic beverages and related items? And there, dear reader, is the first part of the problem. Alcohol, unlike other drugs, is socially acceptable and legally available. No doctor needed. No prescription needed. Just present an ID (real or fake) showing that the purchaser is of legal age, and whoopdeedoo!! Party time!!!

Most people know how to drink. The problem (the one that apparently killed Miss Winehouse) is that most people do not know how to stop drinking. And there, my dear friends, is the first part of the problem.

Alcohol recovery, true alcohol recovery, contains several phases. Each phase has its own set of steps. But (and here is the major point) no individual step, no matter how completely and properly done, cures the alcoholic of his addiction. It is the completion of each step, in proper sequence, which gives the alcoholic the greatest chance for complete, and lasting recovery.

The Narconon program is unique. It addresses, and handles, each step of alcohol recovery, and does not move the alcoholic to the next step until the current step is complete.

The next installment of this blog will address the first step in alcohol recovery, supervised withdrawal. Don’t go anywhere. You are about to learn what it is that makes the Narconon program unique – and effective.

Next: Alcohol Recovery Part II – Supervised Withdrawal

Narconon Grad | Drugs: It’s all about the money!

Narconon graduate speaks out about how he went to the Narconon drug rehab program to get help.

Hey, not for nothing, but it’s all about the money. I got into the drug biz because the money was good. I justified whatever I had to do to get the money. God made weed and cocaine and it’s my job to move it.

Sooner or later though I figured out that I’m killing all my friends. If I front somebody a little bit of dope and he don’t have the money – what am I gonna do? Let him go? No I’m coming to collect. And then I figured out that when he leaves town with his wife and kids, then I’m responsible for that. That’s when the game starts to change. When I realized, you know what, I ain’t such a good guy. So the place that I went to to balance the scales was Narconon.

The Narconon drug rehab program has helped thousands of people recover from drug addiction. If you know someone who needs help, contact a Narconon drug rehab counselor right away.